Hannah Frank (23 August 1908 – 18 December 2008) was an artist and sculptor from Glasgow. She is best known for her art nouveau monochrome drawings before concentrating on sculpture from 1952.
Frank was the daughter of Russian Jewish parents, who had emigrated to Scotland a few years before she was born. The family initially settled in Edinburgh before moving to Gorbals, Glasgow where they had a repair shop for cameras and optical devices. Subsequently they moved to 72 Dixon Avenue in Crosshill.
Frank was a student at the University of Glasgow graduating with Master of Arts on 8 November 1930. She
subsequently became a teacher at Jordanhill Teacher Training College. At the same time, Frank studied part-time at the Glasgow School of Art (GSA) for several years.
During World War II, Frank's works were reflective of the mood of the time, as a Jew, and with brothers in the British Army. There were many illustrations of grim, gaunt figures, reflecting the plight of the refugees. It was also during this period that Frank began clay modelling at the Glasgow School of Art and that was when her passion for sculpture began.
Frank's work reached a wide audience over the years, where she donated or lent artwork for charitable and fundraising purposes for Jewish organisations.
Over the years, Frank was always connected to the Jewish community. Frank and her husband Lionel Levy were also on the Glasgow committee of the Friends of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.
Hannah Frank died in Glasgow on 18 December 2008, aged 100, and is buried in the Hebrew Section of Cathcart Cemetery.
Grave details: Hebrew Q-74